Monday, February 7, 2011

Cafe Alley

In Civic, all Canberrans know about Cafe Alley its the corner that has Gus' Cafe, Milk and Honey, Essen, My Cafe, Mill and La Scala all next to each other, now I personally have my favourite spots here for different reasons and different times of day for example:

Gus' Cafe:
Gus' has been around forever and I think will always be around. I have had some good and some bad experiences here but its convenient so I always seem to find myself going back. The family working there are very close and seem to know everyone but unfortunately, the service there is lacking. There have been many times where I have sat down for about 20 minutes without anyone realising you were there and decided to leave even though it wasnt busy. Other times, we are well treated and have a great conversation with the staff. I love Gus' for breakfast - which they do all day. But after a heavy night out on the town, we always find our way back to Gus' in the morning for a good breakfast. Im not a vegetarian but I prefer the vegetarian breakfast and there was a chorizo omlette on the specials board once which was so delicious but so huge that the 3 of us had to try and finish it. Also, banana cinnamon smoothies and mint hot chocolates are a weekly thing for a few of my friends and myself. Check out the specials board have a break and go experience this one yourself. Lack of consistency with the service lets this place down though.
http://www.guscafe.com.au/

Essen:
I love Essen, there is a girl there called Linda who is the nicest, humble, down to earth, hardworking person I know. Essen is fantastic for food, but I love it for the coffee, teas and cakes. Prices here are great too. Dont be disheartened by how the place looks because this cafe does the best hot drinks I know. If any of my friends say lets go out for cake, this is where you can find us. There is a flourless chocolate log cake and if you get it with some ice cream, best thing ever. Been back quite a few times for that one and its not nice on my waist line. There is also the cake Linda suggested, Banana Pistachio Cake warmed up a little and served with ice cream - also very very good. Thanks Linda! If you like your coffee, come here, staff are great, fast and they wont let you down

Milk and Honey:
If you are feeling a little bit more indulgent and would prefer a bit more privacy, Milk and Honey is the way to go, I personally only go there for hot drinks and desserts when Im feeling a bit classy but its a good place to go and relax. The staff are nice, the coffee is good and I will admit I quite enjoy their range in hot chocolates.
http://www.milkandhoney.net.au/




As for the other Cafes, I havent gone there yet, but now I have this blog, I think Ill have to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment